Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Help needed for Packaging
  • From: James Oakley <jfunk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:41:06 -0300
On Thursday 21 September 2006 3:57 pm, Robert Schiele wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 02:21:11PM -0300, James Oakley wrote:
> > On Wednesday 20 September 2006 9:38 pm, Pascal Bleser wrote:
> > > James, I said we *try*.
> > > You tell me 3 packages, I can probably give you a good dozen (at the
> > > very least) that are being built in the BuildService and where I never
> > > got a single notification, whatsoever.
> >
> > That's actually a good reason to use the buildservice. You only have to
> > make one search to avoid duplication.
>
> If you also build packages for packages that are not under an OSS license
> or for a distribution that is not included, you cannot use the build
> service in a reasonable way because the public server does not allow them

That's a very small minority of packages. That's no reason to shun it
altogether.

> and you can't set-up a private one because parts of the build service
> itself are proprietary software.

Yes, that is a problem. Backend source was promised, but not delivered. I'd be
one of the first to download and use it if it were released.

> Thus it generally makes more sense for
> such packagers to use their own build system instead and invest their time
> there.

So we all have private build systems that we don't publish the source for?
Yes, I'm guilty of that myself, having built multiple systems...

What if we started in on a BS-compatible backend? I'll have some time next
week to start in. Is anybody else interested in such a thing?

> > Isn't this the point of the buildservice? What's the problem?
>
> Communication problems are always a social problem in the first place.
> Tools can only provide some assistance here. If someone really designed
> the build service as a solution for _this_ problem then he actually has no
> clue about the problem.

We have this mailing list, which we didn't have before, so we're actually
talking.

What do you think would need to change in the buildservice?

> > That's fine, I use your Amarok builds. However, it would be nice to be
> > able to subscribe to an "Amarok" repository and not worry about something
> > I don't want sneaking in.
>
> Some tools (e.g. YaST) allow to install single packages with their
> dependencies without the need to install _everything_ in a repository.

Yes, but I'm talking about the effects of apt/smart/yum/rug *upgrade*, which
will update everything it sees.

--
James Oakley
jfunk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx